On 12/7 Carol Harma asked...

>one of those obscure reference questions, but the chemistry teacher at my
school
>is a real internet sceptic.  He wanted to know the specific heat of brass...

Because brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, the specific heat (calories
to change the temperature of one gram of substance one degree Celsius)
will vary with the composition of the alloy.

My Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 36th ed (1954! which shows when I
was in college!) says (p.2102)

Brass 60 Cu 40 Zn
 between -70 and +18 degr., spec. ht. = .0873
          20     100                    .0917
Brass 72 Cu 28 Zn
          14      98                    .094

Joyce Conklin           jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
San Mateo Union High School Dist. (ret.)
San Mateo CA

LM_NET Archive Home