Here is a compilation of the messages I received for the books being
challenged in our school library. I edited them to include only what
was said about the following titles:

Mick Harte was here by Barbara Park
Bones in the cliff by James Stevenson
Earthshine by Theresa Nelson

Seems to me she's judging words, not the book. Does she take those words
out of context, or use them in the context for which they were penned? So
is it the books that are being challenged, or the words in them? Find the
words in the dictionary and see if she objects to that. I can't think why
anybody would challenge Mick Harte Was Here, especially considering the
message of bicycle safety contained therein. Haven't read the other two,
maybe I'd better!

**************************************
I am not too familiar with the first and third titles, but _Mick Hart..._
is one of 20 nominees this year for our Texas Bluebonnet Award, which is
selected by students in grades 3-6. The committee of librarians which
selects the nominees always tries to choose the very best of recently
published works. Though the students will vote in January, this book
seems to be one of their favorites, and I think that it is wonderful!
Though I personally feel that it is unfortunate that Park used some of
the language she used, it does not diminish the high quality of the book,
in my opinion, and I feel that it a book all kids this age should read.
I do not feel that the bad language is excessive, and it certainly is
not as much as the students probably hear everyday from their peers.

**************************************
I have not read the Stevenson one myself Have read both of the other books
Earthshine and Mick Harte are both on our state's Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Book award list -(Earthshine was last year, did not win, but was in the top
10 when the voting was counted) The "DCF LIST" is  30 books for grades 4
through 8--
Earthshine and Mick Hart are both wonderful books with great messages for
kids but I think that Earthshine would be a difficult book for 3 and 4th
graders to get--it is mature, beautifully written, yes, about AIDS, and
loving and saying goodbye and  all kinds of stuff that the usual 3-4th
grader is not quite ready for but the 6th graders love it.  Earthshine
would be appropriate for mature 5th graders, can't imagine many younger
than that appreciating it--or wanting to read it a'tall.
The problem I have with our state award (and I guess yours too) is that
they are putting books for 4th graders (in your case, 3rd graders! ) and
8th graders--holy smokes! there's a lot of growing done between 9 and 14.
I wish they would break the award down, maybe a 3-4-5 and 6-7-8 or
something like that.  This year I got our list and Mick Hart is one of the
*moderate* ones believe me.

I recently read Mick Harte Was Here & quite frankly, it's one of the
best books I've read - ever.  It deals very effectively with a very
sensitive issue - the death of a sibling.  Yes, when I read the passage
about Phoebe & Mick writing the word "fart" in the cement, I questioned
the appropriatness of having this in the story.  At the end of the story
when Phoeboe writes "Mick Harte was here" in fresh cement, the
appropriatness of writing "fart" becomes all too clear as an integral
part of the story.  It is a very well done book.  I have recommended it
as a read aloud to teachers & currently a 6th grade teacher who is
reading it to her class thanked me for the recommendation as the kids beg
her to read the story.

I have read Mick Harte and Earthshine.  Earthshine is a realistic story
about a child dealing with an adult who is dying of aids.  This is
happening more and more in our society.  We need to have literature which
will allow students to understand the dilemas persons dealing with aids
and their love ones go through.  While this books may not be for everyone,
it certainly is for every library.  Students and parents must be selective
in their own reading, but we as librarians cannot be the censors for them,
we need to provide literature of all kinds for readers of all kinds and
stories about aids belong in library collections.

This is a very informal reply over Thanksgiving holiday--therefore without
Earthshine--but my recollection of reading it when it was new is that it is
not an appropriate book for elementary students.  However, it was something I
liked a lot for older kids.  It wasn't the subject of AIDS that makes my
memory feel that way; it was more the emotions that were dealt with and the
way they were described.

1. This is not the world it once was. I remember only happy, fun books
as a child. We never had to deal with anything like this. Now with
guns, drugs, AIDS, etc., we have to teach our children how ugly things
can be, and how to protect themselves. I can't even imagine growing up
now.

2. It is not fair, at least to me anyway, that a professional librarian
ever has to justify what he/she puts on his/her shelves. While I might
not agree with things I see on the shelves, I will defend the right to
have them there. One can always choose not to read something, as one
can chose what not to watch on television.

        I recently attended a YA Literature Workshop given by Patty
Campbell, who is the editor of the Twayne series of biographies of young
adult writers.  She also writes a column in HORN BOOK on ya lit.
        Her principal presentation was her 100 Best YA Books--So Far.  She
listed the books as M = Middle school readers, J = Junior high school
readers, and S = Senior high school readers.  Some had three designations,
some two, and a few just one.
        Under her catagory of Love and Sex she listed EARTHSHINE.  There
were nine titles in this category.  EARTHSHINE had the designation S.
        So I guess I would say, without having read it--I recently bought it
for my 9-12 media center, that it must be a good book--but for high school
readers.
I don't know if this will help, but I have Earthshine, and I bought it
because it was on our Lone Star Reading list for middle and high
schoolers, not our Bluebonnet REading list for 3-6 graders.  It probaby
isn't appropriate for that age group.  Mick Harte was here is on the
Bluebonnet list. I have 3 copies which are never on the shelf.  In fact,
there is usually a reserve list.  It has been read by 3rd, 4th and 5th
graders and they all *love* it.  I haven't had any complaints.
   I have Earthshine in the library here, but we are a high school so I
don't think that would be much help.  The kids who have read it enjoyed it
and I liked the book.  I thought it had an especially upbeat ending.
My sentiments.  One of the worst challenges to our intellectual
freedom is from within our support structure.  Is it too much to ask
her not to read those books?  How much validity does she have
challenging three books by notable authors (from your state's award
list)?  I cried when I read Mick Harte.  I felt the conversation
between his sister and her friend was so necessary to the depth of
the story.  We all count.  Each day counts.  Life must go on even
when horrible things happen to good people, but Mick Harte was
here....and so was my niece Sally who was killed by a car 18 years
ago....and an old friend who was killed in a car accident on her way
home from college...and a high school classmate who died in
Vietnam...and my cousin who has terminal brain cancer...and my Dad
who lived to be 80 years old.  All our lives are meaningful.  Please
don't allow this book to be taken from the hands of others who find
so much reassurance from its content.  If reading about a boy who is
killed is too much for that particular teacher, then tell her not to
read it, but not at my reading expense.
**********************************
I'm not familiar with the other two books, but my Gr. 1-5 library
has two copies of Mick Harte was here. I thought it was a wonderful book,
and I've had no complaints about the language. It's one of twenty books
nominated for the 1997 Rhode Island Childen's Book Award. Since students in
Grades 3-6 select the winning book, I will be encouraging my students to
read it! Good luck.
***********************************
MICK HARTE WAS HERE???!!!  I haven't read the other two yet, but I Just
read Mick last month.  I wasn't looking specifically for inappropriate
language, but the only thing I can think of is "fart"  It carries a very
strong safety message about wearing helmets, without being preachy.  I
think kids listen to the message more if it is somewhat irreverant.  Keep
us posted.
*************************************
   You may wish to edit this!  A retired librarian friend and I both read
Bones in the Cliff and neither one of us liked it.    I have not read Mick
Harte Was Here yet, but I just found out today that it is going to be on our
state award list next year.
**************************************
   In my opinion, the Bones in the cliff, Mick Harte was here, and
Earthshine are appropriate in a K-5 library for three reasons.
#1   Many 4th and 5th grade children would be interested in the
characters and/or ideas presented.
#2   These are books recommended by literature experts for 4th, 5th and
6th graders in your state to read.
#3   They are library books and no one has to read them. The library's
purpose is to provide ideas and information to meet the needs of all
patrons, not just a vocal few.  A collection must be well-rounded and
unbiased
**************************************
        I am in middle Indiana in a rural, typical "Bible belt" school.
I serve the 6-12 libraries. _Earthshine_ is on our Young Hoosier reading
list for this year. Knowing the theme we read it this summer and passed it
by our "Aids Committee". It passed with flying colors. We all cried and
said it was one of best children's books about a parent dying we had ever
gotten our hands on. There is no promotion of homosexuality only the
story of the young girl who loves her parents equally helping her father
to die. I and the teachers make no secret what the book is about and we
are very open in saying to the students that they know what their parents
want them to have and not have and to choose wisely, that is their
responsibility. It  is not their responsibility, nor their parents nor the
teacher to tell other peoples children what they can or cannot read. If
the books in question have met the selection requirements for your school
I find it appalling that you have a staff member who wants to do their job
and yours also. Good luck.
Mick Harte Was Here is a Texas Bluebonnet Nominee this year and it's
proving to be one of the most popular books on this year's list. Several
of my 5th grade teachers have read it aloud to their students and they
have been equally impressed with it, as has our counselor.
**************************************
        I've read Earthshine, which I have in my middle school, grades 5 -
8, library, and it is an excellent book.  However, I would consider both
the subject matter and the writing too advanced for an elementary school
collection.
There will, of course, be a few fifth graders who can read and comprehend
anything, but for most fifth graders, I think this book would be way over
their heads, particularly because of some of the subtleties used by the
author in discussing or presenting some aspects of the story.  The
elementary librarian in my town sent her copy of the book to me to add to
my collection, after she read it.  You might want to check the review in
Booklist, September 1, 1994, page 35.
        While generally I believe in defending the retention of a selected
book on the library shelf, in the face of challenges, I have to say that in
the case of Earthshine, one could argue that it is too mature in content
for the elementary population.
************************************
The only one of the three that I've read is Mick Harte is
here, which is on Vermont's DCF book list for this year.  I gave it
to my son (grade 4) to read, and must admit because of the subject
matter I needed to read it to him to help him finish it.  I frankly
don't remember any "language" that concerned me.  The librarian at my
son's school feels that fourth graders need preparation before
reading it but I (and she) certainly feel that it is more than
appropriate for ten year olds.  You know, I cannot understand why
this "language" is okay when it's used on the street or on
tv, but the minute you spell it out in print, it's offensive.
Mick Harte Was Here was a Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award nominee
for the state of Illinois several years ago. I did read it and enjoyed the
story although it was a little didactical, especially with the author's
comments at the end. Several fifth grade teachers read it aloud, much to
the delight of their students. Our TAR (Teachers Are Readers) also read it
and the principal just raved about the story line, which really affected us
since one of our students had been seriously injured in a van-bicycle
accident and had permanent brain damage. Our principal has been very
influentital in trying to get Buffalo Grove and the state of Illinois to
pass a bicycle helmet law.
MICK HARTE is on the Texas Bluebonnet List for 96-97. This is a list
composed of 20 books appropriate for 3rd-6th grade, picked out by a panel
of librarians from all over the state, etc., etc. Schoolkids vote on
their favorite off the list in January & the author is honored at a
breakfast at the Texas Librarian Copnvention each year.
I have read "Mick Harte was here" and felt that it was appropriate for 5th
graders only.  Many of my 5th graders read it last year and loved it.
 Sometimes children think they are indestructible, and this book shows that
they are not.
I read Mick Harte was Here last year and I thought it was one of the best
books of the year.  The book brought me to tears because of the subject
matter (death of the brother); but I feel that the author did a tremendous
job with conveying the different stages that one needs to go through to cope
with their grief.  Also, the message about the necessity of wearing a bike
helmet was clear without being overdone.  I don't recall anything being
objectionable.  I highly recommended it to all fourth and fifth graders; in
fact, I had to purchase additional copies because I couldn't keep it on the
shelves.
        I wish I could help...but...  The only one of the three that I have
in my library is Mick Harte which I think I could defend for fifth grade.
It is a heavy message about a fun-loving, life-loving boy who would still
be around if he had worn his bicycle helmet.  We had a similar incident
here a few years back so it hit close to home.
    I have read two of the books you are being challenged on and feel both
would be appropriate selections for your school.  I work in a K-8 school
(320 students) that is located in a rural area.  Both Barbara Park's novel
and Theresa Nelson's are in my collection.
    The book Mick Harte Was Here is very popular with fourth grade and was
also cited as being a best book in a student display of recommended
books.  It has been awhile since I have read the book but I quickly
scanned to see what might be offensive and only saw three words damn,
fart, and sucks.  I have heard more offensive language on television.
Perhaps I missed something, as I did not reread the book.
    Earthshine was a book I was assigned to read for a literature
class and I, like your censor, was dreading having to read a book about
AIDS and the people affected.  I was so wrong and narrow minded.  This book
is fantastic!  It is one of the most beautifully written and touching books
on a subject that students need to know about.  The books have both
appeared on many lists of recommended titles.  The choice of whether a child
should or should not read a book rests with that child's
parent and no one else.  Do the censors want us selecting what they can
read or see?  Freedom for me but not for thee!
**********************************
I saw your LM_net Post.  I read Earthshine for a class I had about
children's literature. I felt as if it were one of the best books I'd read
ever.  This is a great book for children to read.  Some students may not be
on the reading level to read it, but some certainly are.
ANd what better way to teach children about AIDS?  The teacher should not
be upset about the subject-- a third grader want and NEEDS information
about AIDS as much as a tenth grader does.  These children hear about it
all the time.  They probably know people who have died from it or whom are
suffering from it currently.  These children need information.

I also appreciate the fact that the book is true to life.  A man who is gay
has the disease, as does a boy's mother.  The mother is pregnant, and they
are worried that the baby might have HIV too.  There is a support group in
which all sorts of people have it.  It shows it as an equal opportunity
disease.  Children need to know this as there are many misperceptions out
there.  They may need to identify themselves with the girl in the story.
This is a high-quality book and there should be no question as to why the
book is there.

Don't worry that it says in one journal that it is for 6th grade and up.
Big deal.  Your job is to find materials for all students.  There are
certainly some students above grade level who need challenging books to
read.  This could be one.  And there should be others.

Yvette Viger                       |  Mildred C. Lakeway Elementary School
ymviger@moose.ncia.net             |  325 Union Street
Librarian / Media Generalist       |  Littleton, New Hampshire  03561

     "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
                             Jorge Luis Borges