Forwarded message:
From:   keking@makani.k12.hi.us (Kelly King)
To:     emoniz@christcom.net (Earl J. Moniz)
CC:     denwall@aol.com
Date: 96-12-10 23:01:46 EST

Mr. Moniz,

You have your facts incorrect. As a member of the State BOE, I am a
policy-maker and not involved with the day to day management of our public
library system. My authority extends only to the point that pressure from
a Board member is meaningful to those in the administration. I did, in
fact, protest the e-mail notice (currently known as the "gag order"), and
advise against it. I have also made a considerable effort to keep the B&T
contract and all the concerns regarding it on the foreburner of the
library committee agendae.
With the recent election of 3 new members to the Board, we are in the
process of reassigning committee chairs and memberships. I hope the next
Library Committee Chair, if s/he continues the monitoring/questioning of
the outsourcing, is better understood by those outside our system who
claim to know it better than we.

Sincerely,

Kelly T. King
Hawaii State Board of Education

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Earl J. Moniz wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Evidently Ms. Kelly believe that no one is interested in what is
> going on in Hawaii and that they (she and Mr. Kane) have some
> mysterious power to censor what is being passed in and out
> of the state on the Internet. . .
>
> When I was a kid growing up on Maui, I seomtimes wondered if
> there really was an "outside world" or was what I knew of the world
> just some huge media fabrication - not unlike the theories on the
> landing ont he moon that pop up from time to time - ...
> I mention that experience simply to observe that perhaps some folks
> now believe the opposite is true - only the news they want to get out
> will get out of Hawaii. . .  What an interesting turn of events!
>
> Ms. Kelly, try as you and Mr. Kane might, the lid to Pandora's box
> has been lifted and no amount of wishful thinking or disinformation
> from within the Hawaii public library system there will keep the truth
> from being uncovered (eventually) and publicized (immediately upon
> discovery). . .  If a president of the United States, with all his power,
> control, and influential friends could not stop his downfall, what makes
> you think that the garbage you seem to be feeding the rest of the
> library world will not eventually be realized as the junk it really is. . .
>
> All we are asking for is honesty...honesty in every decision that was
> made in the process of outsourcing collection development. . .
> The longer you delay, the louder the voices will get, and the more
> undecisive and supportive your advocates will become. . .
>
> I can understand your desire to continue to play God in a
> decision-making process in a land so far, far away. . .but
> don't forget that we live in an electronic age - the Information
> Age - and the library world is starving for information which
> only you and a few silent ones seem to hold...  So, whether
> you provide the information willingly or someone has to
> dig and uncover it for themselves, it will be found out...
>
> The help or hindrance you provide will decide your eventual
> treatment by all parties involved once the truth comes front
> and center . . .
>
> Aloha...
>

> Earl J. Moniz (emoniz@christcom.net)
> WebMinion, Plebeian, and Pedestrian
> "Just doing what I can from where I am with what I have. . ."
> Reproducing and Distribution Permission Granted
> Lillington Elementary School, Lillington, North Carolina

LM_NET Archive Home