We've had the no backpack rule for four years now.  Our school has 1800
students and we have a security gate, but it's not always reliable.  One
reason for the rule was that kids were putting books in others bags and
setting off the alarm for fun besides the fact that we know it doesn't
always work.  It often alerts on incoming students.  When we checked they
had materials that were not checked out.  We don't have penalties, we
merely take the books or whatever up.  Besides the theft problem, barring
book bags "neatens" the place up--we're not always tripping on someones
bag in the floor.

Sandy Barron                 Tomball High School
sbarron@tenet.edu                      30330 Quinn Road
713-357-3219                            Tomball, Texas 77375
FAX 713-357-3252             "making the difference with information science"

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Silvia Meder Lilly wrote:

> Because of theft, I am considering eliminating backpacks in the
> library.  Students can either show up without a backpack or drop them in
> a designated area during their library stay.  Are any of you doing this
> already?  Feedback? I don't believe our small school (750 students,
> 7-12) justifies the expense of a security system at this point in time,
> but we need to do something. thanks for your input - Silvia
>
> Silvia Meder Lilly
> lillyt@crisny.org

LM_NET Archive Home