Betty, and others -
I have used "jigsawing"  (or perhaps I should say that I have had it
used in groups where I have been a member) to share information from
professional reading. I've also seen it used with upper elementary
students and higher, presented as a way to have kids learn things faster.
It appears to be fairly common in this area.

I do not know any references to it, but my impression is that it is a
"technique" from some professional educational person or place.

That said, I can tell you that I do not care for it as a way of learning.
I much prefer to read things myself than to use others' reading and
condensing as a way of learning.  Too often I've found that when I go back
and read the entire article or book, points that I find important have
been left out or re-viewed by the person or group presenting to me. It's
more important to me to have the whole picture rather than just a slice of
it from someone else's eyes.

But perhaps it does work well for those who aren't at ease with reading,
or who are auditory learners rather than visual.  I'd be interested in
what others have to say on this topic.  DJR

Donna J. Reidhead                         Timnath Elementary School (K-6)
Media and Technology Teacher            P.O. Drawer 10   3909 Main Street
reidhead@psd.k12.co.us                            Timnath, Colorado 80547
School: (970) 493-5978                                Fax: (970) 493-1264

LM_NET Archive Home