On December 21 I asked:

Can you tell me your top Macintosh software pick for Gr.3-4 in any of the
following categories? (I need some ideas saspo---for a meeting Jan. 6!)
TIA   Joan Kimball  jkim@borg.com    Hart's Hill School, Whitesboro, NY

1. Desktop Publishing-
2. Data Base-
3. Graphing-
4. Reference, including Atlas, Encyclopedia, Dictionary-
5. Math-
6. Social Studies, esp. Explorers, Colonial America, People in different biomes-
7. Science, esp. Desert, Rainforest, Ocean, Geology, Animals-
8. Language Arts-

Thanks to Linda Bryniarski, Lorrie Wade,  and Donna J. Reidhead for
answers, also thanks for earlier messages from Bob Koreis & Ellen Jay and a
November posting about math software by Edith LaForge, which I have
incorported into this HIT.

All these messages are reflected in the HIT below, which I call FIRST HIT.
Numbers in () parentheses show number of people recommending.
I will add more ideas, if forthcoming, in a SECOND HIT.

Accelerated Reader - to keep track of their reading (large commitment)
Animals of the San Diego Zoo
Clarisworks - word processing, data base, drawing, spreadsheet-(2)
Cruncher - math spreadsheets, graphs and charts
Encyclopedia:
-Encarta
-Grolier Multimedia
-Josten's Golden Book Encyclopedia
-World Book Multimedia or Info Finder (for networked version) -(2)
Five Alive - free CD from Dole is good for nutrition and healthy eating
Graphing: Graph Club or ClarisWorks in the spreadsheet option
Kid Pix - not easy to use but worth the effort
Logical Zoombinis for problem solving in math -(2)
Mario teaches typing - when we can get it to run reliably, it freezes
Math Munchers Deluxe - Basic operations & geometry
Math Workshop - basics, estimation & problem-solving
Mathshop Jr. - solving word problems -(2)
Multimedia Animal Encyclopedia for animal information
My own stories - writing
National Geographic Mammals
National Geographic Picture Atlas
National Geographic Presidents
Odell down under - ocean
Oregon Trail - Westward movement (2)
Planetary Taxi - simulation of solar system
Storybook weaver  - writing
Tabletop & Tabletop Jr. - graphing sometimes
Thinking Things 1 - memory, problem-solving, logic for primary
Thinking Things 2 - lots of fun-(2)

Timeliner - good for personal autobiographies, daily schedules,

          Westward movement, etc.

COMMENTS:
----Encyclopedia:  World Book Info Finder, Grolier Multimedia, Encarta
        (we use all of them so they can compare differences)
We don't have a regular lab in our building.  Each classroom has a
Mac 575 and on Wednesdays we pull them out into the centrum (a kind of
wide place in the hall like a room without walls) for a mini lab for the
day.  We do it on each floor so there are two labs.  This puts two kids
on each computer.  ---From Linda Bryniarski, Bridle Path Elementary,
Lansdale, PA

----You don't ask for this, but we use HyperStudio for multimedia projects.
It is excellent!
I don't have suggestions for the other areas.  We don't have a lot of
experience with software on Macs as much as IIes.  ---From Donna J.
Reidhead, Timnath Elementary School, Timnath, CO

---- Earlier, I asked people whether they liked Integrated Learning
Systems. Bob Koreis said he didn't recommend an ILS and he gave this
comment:  I like to see (the computer) used for simulations. Oregon Trail
on CD_ROM is fantastic.  It's such a long simulation, being able to save
midway is a plus.  Another that I like is Planetary Taxi.  Thinking games,
such as pie throw/artillery I like.  Anytime the student has to exercise
judgement or critical thinking.  Writing programs and databases are also
good.  The networks are great for sharing limited resources, but ILS's give
too little bang for the buck and place the student at the mercy of the
computer. ---from Bob Koreis  Lake Louise Elementary, Lakewood WA

Joan Kimball (jkim@borg.com)
Clinton, NY
Hart's Hill Elementary School Library
Clark Mills Road, Whitesboro, NY 13492