Well, Group, I'm on *another* committee, and I need some voices of
experience assitance.

In Texas, Senate Bill 1 (the one that affects education here in a BIG
way) mandates that all campuses have something like a PTA or PTO.  We
tried that a couple of years ago with an ABC (Academic Booster Club)
group.  Because we had 2 or 3 really dedicated leaders, they kept it
going for the 2 years they were in office, but they had little help.  The
meetings wound up being mainly faculty with very few parents. All of the
work (and it was WORK) was done by those 2 or 3 and a handful of teachers
who were on the committee.

We have Band Boosters and Athletic Boosters, both of which are active.
Adding one more parent group is going to be difficult since time is
already a factor.

Have any of you had outstanding success with a parent organization at the
high school level? Our findings are that when children are small, parents
are involved, but when they reach high school, mom goes back to work and
we just don't have the interaction as with little kids.

You can send responses to me and I'll post a hit.  (Which reminds me, I
have another "hit" almost ready to share with the group.)

Thanks!

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home