Greetings LM_NETTERS,

I hope there are a number of you out there that can provide me with some
moral support, and some sound reasoning.  I accepted a new position this year
as a media director.  I came from a school where the library/media program
was exemplary.  The facility and staff were an integral part of student,
faculty, and community research.  At my new school, however, the mind-set is
that the media center's primary function is to be an official part of study
hall, where 20-30 students gather each hour, each day to ease the crowding in
the cafeteria, where the rest of study hall is held.

This is terribly frustrating, as I spend most of my time "baby-
sitting," and only a very minimal fraction of my time helping students use
the media center.  Even with other teachers in here to assist the
babysitting, the media center remains a place where kids rendezvous to
attempt everything but using the facility properly.  AAAAAAAAAAAGGHH!  My
building administrators have allowed me to make cosmetic changes only.  The
fundamental problem, however, remains.

Have any of you experienced a similar mindset?  Have any of you been
victorious.  I really would be interested in receiving responses from many of
you, which I can summarize, and present to my administrators.  I believe that
everyone benefits everyone from a media center that is functioning as it
should.

I would be very grateful to those of you that can provide me with some
thoughts and advice on the topic.  Please e-mail me direct:  DougNWHS@AOL.COM

Thank you in advance for those of you who will share your insights with me on
how to change attitudes and perceptions in this matter.

Doug Gilliland
Media Director

LM_NET Archive Home