>Hi.  I know that this is a lot to get through, but I think that this is
>important. I hope this appropriate for LM_NET but I know we are all concerned
>about our access to all kinds of information.

>    PBS, NPR (National Public Radio), and the arts are facing major
> cutbacks in funding.  In spite of the efforts of each station to reduce
> spending costs and streamline their services, the government officials
> believe that the funding currently going to these programs is too large a
> portion of funding for something which is seen as "unworthwhile".
> Currently, taxes from the general public for PBS equal $1.12 per person per
> year, and the National Endowment for the Arts equals $.64 a year in total.
>
>     A January 1995 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll indicated that 76% of Americans
> wish to keep funding for PBS, third only to national defense and law
> enforcement as the most valuable programs for federal funding.
>
>     Each year, the Senate and House Appropriations commitees each have 13
> subcommitees with jurisdiction over many programs and agencies.  Each
> subcommitee passes its own appropriation bill.  The goal each year is to
> have each bill signed by the beginning of the fiscal year, which is October
> 1.  In the instance of the Corporation of Public Broadcasting, the bill
> determines the funding for the next three years. When  this issue comes up
> in 1996, the funding will be determined for fiscal years 1996-1998.
>
>     The only way that our representatives can be aware of the base of
> support for PBS and funding for these types of programs is by making our
> voices
> heard.  Please add your name to this list if you believe in what we stand
> for.  This list will be forwarded to the President of the United States,
> the Vice President of the United States, and Representative Newt Gingrich,
> who is the instigator of the action to cut funding to these worthwhile
> programs.
>
>         If you happen to be the 50th, 100th, 150th, etc. signer of this
> petition, please send it to
>
>         kubi7975@blue.univnorthco.edu.
>
> This way we can keep track of the lists and organize them.  Forward this to
> everyone you know, and help us to keep these programs alive.
>
>         Thank you.

> 1.  Elizabeth Weinert, student, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley,
>         Colorado.
> 2.  Nikki Marchman, student, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley,
>         Colorado.
> 3.  Laura King, Salt Lake City, Utah
> 4.  Mary Lambert, San Francisco, CA
> 5.  Sam Tucker, Seattle, WA
> 6.  Steve Mack, Seattle, WA
> 7.  Stacy Shelley, Sub Pop Records, Seattle, WA.
> 8.  Amy Saaed, Seattle, WA
> 9.  Jill Hudgins, Atlanta, GA
> 10. Alex Goolsby, student, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
> 11. Aisha K. McGriff, North Carolina School of Science and Math
> 12. Amy Brushwood, North Carolina School of Science and Math
> [...]
  55. Elisa Baker, Ursuline High School faculty, Santa Rosa, CA

Elisa Baker - Librarian
Ursuline High School                            e-mail:  elisa@sonic.net
90 Ursuline Road                                Fax:     707-542-0131
Santa Rosa, California 95403
 "It's no use going to school unless the library is your final destination"
                                                        Ray Bradbury