It has only been a day and I have already received some great suggestions.
If any of you know of other great equipment that you have purchased that
makes life easier , please let  me know.  I found an article  in the
Sept.95 issue of Technology and Learning  on pp. 36-42 that had
recommendations for printers  on a network. An ink jet printer can cost 3-5
cents per page where a laser printer costs 2 cents per page.    Some
printers made for dos allow you to lower costs with a feature that controls
density.  A similar feature can be added to Macintosh ink jet and laser
called Toner Tuner Secure from SmartStuff Software (503-231-4300).
The article recommended that you shop toward the higher end to the category
that offer higher speeds and boosted memory to store incoming documents.
Some of the higher end models feature a built-in network interface that
eliminates the need to use a separate computer as a print server .  The two
examples given were OkidataUs OL1200,600 dpi, 12 ppm that includes 2 mb
RAM(expandable to 34) and retails around 1499.   Includes a high speed data
port and an interface for an ethernet or a token ring network card.
 Apple ComputerUs LaserWriter 16/600 is a 16ppm, 600 dpi Postscript printer
thatUs also compatible with Windows, Dos, and UNIX.  It includes built-in
support for AppleTalk, Novel Netware, EtherTalk, and TCP/IP Ethernet
networks. Suggested price is 2429.(The state contract price may be less)
I have had good experience in the past  with both Okidata and Apple
printers.  I use a personal laser writer 320 now that has never given me a
momentUs grief.  I purchased a lexmark laser 6 at  the same time that has
given me nothing but grief and my experience with the latters' customer
service was poor to none at all.
I may go with the Apple Laser writer 16/600 for the student printouts and
the Okidata for the Circulation printouts.

It depends on how much printing you are going to do, especially if you are
using infotrac and SIRS.  If you are doing a lot! of printing, I would go
with a laser.  It may be more expensive at first, but the length of the
cartridge and storage (leak over summer break) will make a big
difference...  The Ink jet cartridges tend to dry out over the summer,
then you have to spend the $35-or-so to get new ones. Eric :)

It has been my experience, working with K-12 schools, that the vast
majority are choosing the Apple 16/600 printer for labs, media centers and
offices. It is ethernet ready, fast, robust and the actual price per page
printed is actually cheaper than other, less expensive printers. Hope this
helps!
Maurice Schendzielos

  If Your kids have any way to print graphics ie
Encarta, CD Atlases etc, then you may want to buy additional memory for
your printer.  The printer is my biggest headache, and I have one that has
fast and sturdy.
I have a 12 station Digital network on Novel 3.12, Unison Circ + and Cat +
v1.22, a Meridian 100m 8 bay tower,  (no Iclas) and 1 Hewlett Packard
Laserjet 4.  It handles all of our printing needs except that I have a
dedicated Epson LQ 570 for my circulation station only.  I would suggest
a minimum of 4meg in the Laserjet, more if you can afford it.  The one
Laserjet serves our network needs quite well.

**
Clete Schirra                           schirrac@icarus.lis.pitt.edu
South Park High School Media Center     schirra@calvin.cc.duq.edu
2178 Ridge Road                         (412) 655-0613 voice
Library PA 15129                        (412) 655-2952 fax
*

I went through this last year, and bought both an HP$ 16 pages per minute
printer, as well as an Apple 16ppm printer. They are both excellent! One
laser printer will serve the whole library (we had 50+ plus machines
feeding print jobs into the HP, and 31 macs in a lab feeding into the
Apple.)

 Peter Milbury, Librarian

Frances W. Pickard      Pickarf@mail.firn.edu           (904)739-5200
Dupont Middle School