     I believe information skills must be taught as a holistic process and
integrated across the curriculum.  There are various models available today
which could be used as a foundation for this approach, and certainly
Eisenberg and Berkowitz's Big Six Skills is a prominent example.  There is a
great list of information process models in TEACHING THROUGH COLLABORATION by
Paula Montgomery (World Book, 1995).
     Once the LMS and teachers have agreed on a model, elements of it must be
taught, but this should happen in context with an instructional activity
occuring in the classroom.  In the past we have taught students about
resources but we did not tend to focus on a holistic process.  If we want
them to be independent learners who can access information whenever (and
wherever) they have a need, they must be able to apply an information skills
process, selecting strategies as appropriate.
     Some resources you might find helpful:
1) FROM LIBRARY SKILLS TO INFORMATION LITERACY: A HANDBOOK FOR THE 21st
CENTURY.  Developed by the California Media and Library Educator Association,
and available from Hi Willow Research & Publishing Co.; P. O. Box 266/ Castle
Rock, CO  80104-0266.
2) School Library Activities Monthly.  A monthly journal published by LMS
Associates.  Paula Montgomery is the editor and this journal provides some
excellent examples of integrating information skills into instructional
activities.

Marjorie Pappas
The University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA