        Common sense must prevail. The first thing brought to me off the
internet was a hacker's file, 100 pages long, explaining in detail complete
with telephone numbers and passwords, how to break into business, govenment
and military computers.  No where in the Try-me document was there any
indication that trying one of these numbers and passwords could land a child
a serious jail sentence. It's called breaking and entering and the courts
don't accept curiosity or just looking as an excuse.
        A research text is one thing but no one, in spite of all the
censor-free ideals, stocks porn films, kiddy porn pictures and all that
stuff that's on the net.  If you did you would be fired!  Should a third
grader be exposed to it?  Of course not.
Are we responsible? Absolutely!
        Why suspend a child for writing filthy anonymous notes if we're
going to teach how to do it in international style in the library?

Linda Sande

LM_NET Archive Home