Battling a negative image can be a problem.

We do seem to need better communications with our staffs.
But most important, we need to evince pride in our great
profession.

I like the idea of developing a portfolio with publications,
citations, etc.  And I like the idea of writing a regular
newsletter or column.  And of course it makes a difference
if we communicate with people on a personal level as much
as possible.  After all, we have the most marvelous job---
no marks to give out, always in a position to help someone,
constantly enticing people to do what interests them.

I think we *do* have to remind ourselves that we are unique
and fill a need no one else can fill.  And even if I'm the
oldest member of my faculty (over 60!) I am the most up to
date with computers and was the original computer trainer
in the district back in '82 when I was 50, for goodness sake!

As a rule we keep up in our field.  we spend our own time,
and money too, to be leaders in literature, curriculum and
technology.  If some people don't see it, too bad.  We can
still be proud of what we are, and try to improve communication.

Joan Kimball      jkim@borg.com

Joan Kimball (jkim@borg.com)
Clinton, NY
Hart's Hill Elementary School Library