I have been following this thread for the past few days.

What is especially sad to me is that non school librarians scorn us too.

When I was working on my MLS (Univ of Denver '73) we would frequently have
getting to know you chats at the beginning of new classes.  When asked my career
goals, I would say "school librarian."  Some particularly rude people walked
off, immediately, without reply.  The disappointed facial expressions of the
more polite told the same story--if it was in a school, it wasn't a real
library, therefore had no value, and neither did I.

The annual Wyoming Library Assn state wide meeting tells the same story--most
activities, meetings etc are geared to public, special, and academic with a few
bones tossed to us school folks (they do want our registration money).

Over the years I've decided it isn't worth wasting much energy or anger.  I come
in, do my job and know that many people appreciate my efforts although they may
forget to say thanks, and that there are some people that you can't please no
matter what.

Tom

Tom Neyer
Wagonwheel Elementary