> I soon discovered that the librarian's job was not the piece of cake I
>used to think it was.

This statement from Ken Baker brought back memories of my last two summers
which were spent at the University of Southern Mississippi in an intensive
summer course (two 10 weeks summers) to receive my Master's. It is a great
program full of good teachers and loads of librarians and wanna-be
librarians from all over the world.

Two or three of the new people in my group were classroom teachers. They
were honest enough to say they were tired of the classroom but didn't want
to retire. They decided to get their MLIS because it sounded easier than
more classroom time. Well ,that was the first day or two. They were
whistling a VERY different tune when they got a couple of week into the
program and found out about cataloguing/classification,
acquisition/deaquisition, statistics and all those things teachers don't
see us doing! They finished but they had a whole new respect for our
professions! Sure wish more people could experience this!!

Guam is fifteen hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time
--livin' in the future -- ain't Life grand!

T. K. Cassidy - Children's Librarian  /////// Guam Public Library System
                         - Resident Storyteller/Writer ///////
tkc@kuentos.guam.net

LM_NET Archive Home