I feel so "grown-up"!  I just read my first Pulitzer Prize novel.  The
Stone Diaries by Carol Shields.  A very tender life story of an
unextraordinary woman.  I kept putting it down, so I could savor the
feelings it engendered.
Am now reading Mr. Ives' Christmas by Oscar Hijuelos.  Also a
_to-be-savored_ experience.  As a Catholic and a parent, I can really
identify with Mr. Ives.
Finally read (I must be the last librarian on earth to do this)
Kingsolver's Bean Trees.  Can't wait to order her other books for my
library.
Also Othello by Lester--what a master of the language.  Lester's
beautiful language is very nearly better than that of the Bard himself.
Also got my teenaged daughter to read Shakespeare. We are planning to see
the movie now.
And Kiss the dust by Elizabeth Laird.  An okay read and an eye-opener for
students who may not have visited the third world.

LM_NET Archive Home