Do you have any suggestions on keeping track of computer software
(single and multi-user) and manuals that come with computers?

The influx of a lot of computer software over the past few years is
causing some discussion in  the best way to inventory, catalog and/or
process the various forms.  For example, at one time it was an easy
decision...we had single-user software utilized straight from the
floppy drive (unlike most software today that must be saved to the
harddrive).  Today we have multi-user software for 5-10 or more users
that must be saved on the harddrive.  After months of trying to
decide on the best way to keep track of these items, I decided to
process all multi-user software as a Computer Software Kit on our
automated circulation system (SURPASS II).  All single-user software
programs are labeled as Computer Software.  I gave each program a
Dewey number and barcode number.  However, now I wonder if I did the
correct thing by putting these items on the computer.  The
problems/concerns that have arisen are:

...some teachers have purchased software through various
homeroom/special funding.  Since "they" purchased them with monies
meant for them alone (that room) their software will be returned to
them and used only by them.  Is this software the library should
inventory/ catalog/ process?

...multi-user software is generally sent with the license for the
designated number of users, but only one user's guide.  If multi-user
software is not inventoried/cataloged/processed through the library,
how will the guides be monitored?

...it has been suggested that we inventory/catalog/process the
manuals that come with the computers so that we can keep track of
them.  However, with the influx of the computers and the number of
manuals, this could and would be a major task...not to mention the
time taken to process, track down during inventory time, etc.  I have
suggested we keep only ONE set of manuals on hand for each group of
similar computers and inventory that set.  If needed, it could be
checked-out.

If you have any suggestions on how you are dealing with problems
similar to these, I would be grateful to hear about them and pass
along to others.  Thanks.

Tony Pope
McHenry Elementary School
100 McHenry Drive