I sent this message privately, but since the discussion is going on,
decided to send it to all.  I agree with everything Betty and Gail have
said.  I say below that I didn't like the administrator courses, but did
like the supervision courses.  Many courses for the two certifictions
were the same.  I took school law, finance, etc.  But the supervision
route had more (at least at the time) on curriculum and instruction and
less on management.  By the way, my library administration course counted
toward the supervision certifiction.  In fact, one of the things that
influenced me to go for it was finding out that at least two library
courses counted toward administrator/supervisor certification.

I agree that the courses helped me in my own work and gave me contact
with other administrators.  Also, several years ago I was browsing around
in the University of Houston library and ran across an article in an old
journal which I wish I had copied or at least written down the citation
(bad librarianship!).  The article was on librarians becoming principals
(there weren't many).  The researcher looked into the numbers who do
become principal, the similarities and differences in the roles, and what
from librarianship might help a person as a principal.  One of the main
points I remember is that the use of time is very similar - fragmented,
never finish a task, things always coming up unexpectedly.  It was
pointed out that the *KINDS* of things coming up were much different,
with the principal having more critical things such as discipline
problems, parents demanding to be seen immediately, etc., but that the
*PATTERN* was very much the same.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu