Are your classes organized into homerooms?  If so, try offering prizes
to the class the has the least number of overdues over a month or week.
Prizes that I've used are things like a computer generated poster or
banner that states, "Class x has the best book return in January!" or
"Grade x has no overdues in December!"  Sometimes using the homeroom
teacher's name in the banner motivates the teacher to encourage their
kids to return books, too.  Another prize can be the opportunity to keep
the library mascot in the homeroom for the month, or make up a brand new "No
Overdue" mascot.  Hope this helps.

Hilda Mah  <hmah@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Alex Taylor Community School
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, MRS SUZANNE H FROST wrote:

> It is Jan.3 and I still have a lot of students who have books out
> since Sept. and Oct. There are 350 7th and 8th graders and they do
> use the library a lot. However, it seems that they don't like to
> return overdue books. I charge fines at the end of every marking
> period but that doesn't seem to help. I talk to each student at least
> 5 or 6 times to remind them of their overdue books. That doesn't seem
> to help. Does anyone have success in getting books back? I am
> getting more frustrated as the problem seems to get worse every year.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Suzanne Frost
> NHZM51A@prodigy.com

LM_NET Archive Home