Didn't Cormier write a book call FADE which showed the darker side of
being invisible?  Any chance SMOKE is accessible by YA students?

Debbie Abilock              "It is important that students bring a certain
The Nueva School            ragamuffin barefoot irreverence to their studies;
6565 Skyline Blvd.          they are not here to worship what is known,
Hillsborough, CA 94010      but to question it."  (Jacob Bronowski)

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Alice H. Yucht wrote:

> Why wait for a vacation -- although here in the Northeast, I suspect we
>  will be having many mini-vacation snow days this year...
> Donald Westlake's latest comedy-mystery, *Smoke*, is the perfect
> antidote to a bad week at school: 'laugh-out-loud' funny, 'now-what'
>  suspenseful, and even "big issue" thought-provoking.  It's about a
> thief who has become invisible -- a quality which could be an asset
> in his line of work, but which  also creates additional, unforeseen
> (pardon the pun) problems for him.  Westlake has a truly inventive
>  mind; as you read, you find yourself wondering how he manages to
>  think up these twists!  Along the way, he also manages to take
> potshots at various aspects of contemporary culture, especially
> corporate funding of "medical" research.
> Actually, all of Westlake's books are comedy-mysteries, and all
> contain some kind of scathing commentary on an aspect of contemporary
>  society, but I do think this is the best one he's ever written.
> Alice H. Yucht
> yucht@zodiac.rutgers.edu

LM_NET Archive Home