On 16.1.96  Dana McDougald wrote:

>A colleague read a quote from ?Henne(1966) in which she stated that she
>believed it is more important to teach students to use information than
>to locate information, because there would always be professionals to
>locate the information.
>
>What do you all think?

I THINK:

1.  That there will never be enough professionals to find everyone's
information for them - so students need to learn location skills.

2.   People rarely communicate effectively WHAT information they want.
This is the skill of the "Reference Librarian" to ascertain just what is
wanted by each patron.  My most recent example is a teacher who said she
wanted books about "The Sea".  When presented with a substantial stack she
said they weren't what she wanted.  What she selected for herself after
that was a pile of books about Australian animals" !!!!

3.   I generally do not locate information for teachers or students.  I
will "teach"/ "guide" them to locate it for themselves.  I believe that
only the information seaker knows exactly what is relevant for his/her
purpose, the level at which the info is required and the depth of info
required.

4.  If you cannot locate your own information how can you become an
independent learner?

In 1966 there was not so much information to be located!  It think Henne's
statement has outlived its relevance.

Viva the location skills - then of course students must have skills to
process the information!

Chris XYZ

Chris Skrzeczynski, Teacher-librarian  <cxyz@gil.com.au>
Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School
1 Kenmore Road Kenmore, Qld 4069
Australia  Ph: (07)33782412    Fax: (07)38783160