I have been involved in an Integrating Technology into the School
graduate program for the past year and have enjoyed it immensely.  We
have read many books including Being Digital that have made me think a
great deal about the future of technology and the future of education.  I
agree with Betty Hamilton in the last post that she wrote that technology
is and can be wonderful if used properly as its own discourse form.
Anyway, I thought that I would share with you some of the books that we
have read over the last year.
Unschooled Mind - Gardner, Howard
Mind in Society - Vygotsky
Visual Literacy - Messaris
Writing Space - Bolter
Cognition and Curriculum Reconsidered - Eisner
Things that Make us Smart - Norman
Virtual Community - Rheingold
Saber-tooth Curriculum - Peddiwell
Soul of a new Machine - Kidder
Video Kids - Provenco
Third Wave - Toffler
Technopoly - Postman
Disappearance of Childhood - Postman
School's Out - Perelman
Life on the Screen - Turkle
The Postman books were very thought-provoking and all certainly made it
difficult not to reconsider education as it is now and how it could be
using technology as a discourse form.
Perlinda Shelton
mshelton@unm.edu
Sandia High school