Dear Dick:

        Excuse me, Dick, but I couldn't resist responding publicly to some
of the misinformation you inadvertently included in your recent multi-part
message regarding AUPs in Indiana.
        You stated, for instance, that "the state DOE has mandated that
all schools should have an AUP Statement.  However, it has given schools
the complete freedom to do it in whatever way they want!"
        In fact, the state mandate for AUPs in Indiana public schools
originated in the Governor's office--it was simply announced by the
IDOE--and with that mandate came two pages of requirements and
recommendations <http://doe.state.in.us/LearningResources/aup123>
on how they should be framed.
        Later you state that some schools or districts "have developed
AUP Statement simply by having the superintendent and the Tech Cord.
(some schools do not have a tech. cord. and it is just the
superintendent) write up a statement for the purpose of getting a
particular grant."
        In fact, there is currently only one grant program in Indiana
which specifically requires districts to have an AUP in place--the Internet
connectivity grants <http://doe.state.in.us/reed/happenings/log.html>
available through Intelenet--and the requirements of that program include
a board approved policy, not one written "in the back of [a] smoke filled
room" and "not even...sent to the school board" as your message states.
        Still later you express alarm that some schools or districts will
"have their policy statement hidden and only bring it out to hold
teachers responsible" and "will hide their Policy statement for the
expressed purpose of...putting the blame on the teacher".
        In fact, one of the specific state requirements for district AUPs
in Indiana is that they be "available for review by all parents,
guardians, staff and members of the community."  Further, all district
AUPs submitted for compliance with the requirements for eligibility for
the Intelenet grants mentioned above are maintained on file and are
available for public review by the IDOE Office of Learning Resources.
        Dick, I truly feel that there are a number of very legitimate
intellectual freedom related concerns inherent in the student use of
school provided Internet access and the development of district AUPs;
however, consideration and discussion of those concerns should be based on
fact and not emotion.  This is obviously an issue about which you care
passionately.  If you would like the IDOE Office of Learning Resources to
provide you with any pertinent information, please feel free to contact
me.  Our toll-free number in Indiana is 800/527-4930.

John W. Shearin                                     jshearin@doe.state.in.us
Office of Learning Resources        http://doe.state.in.us/LearningResources
Indiana Dept. of Education                    http://ideanet.doe.state.in.us

LM_NET Archive Home