dsc@TENET.EDU (Donna S Cook) wrote:

> My library was repainted this summer, and now it is time to > think about
new shelf labels.  I like one label on each shelf
> indicating the spine label range that is on that shelf.
> (Example:  F Ca-Cle)
 >  The question I put to all your collective experience and
> education is whether the shelf label goes logically ABOVE the
> books or BELOW the books.
 >   Next:  is there a shelf label you just love?  Is there a
> particular way to attach shelf labels that you have seen to be > the best?

Donna--

     I usually place a child next to each shelf, describing each of the books
on his or her shelf.
     I choose the children based on the subject area -- short kids for story
collections, ESL kids for primary language books, gifted students for
dictionaries and thesauri, etc.
     Over in history I try to get the most loquacious, while the creative I
save for 811 and 812.  Athletes do well promoting sports books, gang members
do quite well talking up true crime, and those with purple hair often do well
describing the art collection.
     The students get into the mood of their section by dressing the part.
 Science books are described by students with laptops and pocket protectors.
 Religion invokes sermons from appropriately garmented young scholars.  The
animal books include a small zoo, with a zoo keeper who demonstrates habitats
and recites species breakdowns.
     Although it means missing classes, the reinforcement of constantly
repeating plots and book summaries in ways that both entertain and spark
interest, seems to compensate for lost class time.  The students learn from
each other and occasionally change jobs, so as to learn new areas of
knowledge.
     When there are few or no students patronizing the library, these living
shelf labels do the usual custodial chores, helping the books back to their
places on the shelves and reminding them to present themselves well when they
are discussed.

     I hope this helps --- I obviously have way too much time on my hands in
the summer,
Richard Moore

LM_NET Archive Home