In YOUR MESSAGE YOU WRITE:

Date:    Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:13:09 -0400
From:    Kate Brown <LaBookWorm@AOL.COM>
Subject: The "Big Six"

I've heard so much buzz about the famous "Big Six" but have actually read
little research or heard from people who use it.  Can you help?

<<I CAN HELP!>>

     Where can I find a GOOD article or two that explains its principles
and/or applications?
     Do you use the Big Six in your school?  What grades?  What kind of
results and/or effects have you seen?  What kind of reactions has it met with
from both teachers and students?  How has it impacted the curriculum?  Are
you going forward with it?  If so, as is or with modifications?
     What else can you share with me about this method of research,
especially its possibile use and/or success in a middle school (grades 6, 7,
and 8)?

Thanks for your help.  -- LaBookWorm@aol.com (Kate)
                                    Westport (MA) Middle School

<<KATE, I have been working with Big 6 for about a year now.  I was
introduced to it through a course in my MLS.  I love the process approach to
information problem solving and have only found positive results.  There is a
Big  6 Listserv.  Here are the directions for subscription.

Listserv@listserv.syr.edu

in the body of the message, write,

subscribe BIGSIX yourfirstname yourlastname

to send a message, send to BigSix@listserv.syr.edu

This list is full of great ideas and helpful people.  One of the "authors" of
the Big Six,  M. Eisenberg is the list owner and he writes/answers
frequently.

There is a big six web site at
 <http://edweb.sdsu.edu/edfirst/bigsix/bigsix.html>

My "favorite" article for the big six School Library Journal (August 1995)
pages 22-25.  It is titles, Six Habits of Highly Effective Students. Another
article is in SLMQ Winter 1992.  It compares the the Big 6 to other process
approaches.

I have a booklet that I prepared for a class for my MLS degree.  I had many
just repackaged the Big 6 information into a presentation form to use with
teachers.  I put in a lesson plan as well as some assessment, bulletin
boards, and bookmark ideas.  If you are interested, ask me at
TLittle844@aol.com  In the subject write BANANA SPLIT because that is the
title of the booklet.

I am also teaching an online course about the Big 6 and other process
approaches to information problem solving.  Again, if you are interested,
write me at TLittle844@aol.com

I hope this has helped.  I am also interested in any hits you receive that I
could learn from as well.  Tami Little

Tami Little
1705 Rebecca Street
Sioux City, IA 51103