Dear LM_Netters,

I have been off this list for a while, but am back on long enough to ask my
LM_NET colleagues if they have tidbits to contribute to my Internet
Librarian column for the September 1996 American Libraries.  It is
tentatively titled "Don't Have A Cow, Man: Censorship, The Internet, and
School Libraries."  By the way, my editor was very pleased that I made a
pitch to write about school libraries--he pointed out that they don't get
enough coverage in AL!

What I am looking for are real-life examples of how you prepared for or
dealt with censorship issues related to Internet access.  Did you write a
policy your principal could cope with?  Did you persuade folks that
filtering software wasn't necessary?  Did you have a talk with kids?  Did
you position equipment differently?  Did you meet a challenge?  Or
something else altogether?

I have several great books to recommend on this topic... I'll post more on
this later, but I have to go now... my cherry ice cream is ready to come
out of the ice cream freezer and be packed to take to the barbecue.  :-)
(Actually, it came out a little icier than most of my fruit ice creams
do... I wonder if I should have poached the cherries first or added a
little corn syrup?)

Anyway, success stories, true tales from the front (not to mention a little
ice cream advice...) all welcome and of course enormously appreciated.

TIA,

Karen G. Schneider * kgs@bluehighways.com * schneider.karen@epamail.epa.gov
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman@icm.com)
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library * Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Visit our library at http://www.epa.gov/Region2/html/library/
These opinions strictly mine!

LM_NET Archive Home