I would certainly support anything that gets books into the hands of kids and
encourages reading.  At my school we have 3 titles per grade level (7 and 8)
which are read by every student. I can't remember the 7th titles, but 8th are:
Light in the Forest, Charley Skedaddle, My Brother Sam is Dead and Call of the
Wild.   This allows for class discussions about the book and how it applies to
their lives, etc.  I think most students like the novels and the various
creative ways of studying a common piece of literature.
          Another approach that is used by many teachers is the "Reader's
Worshop" approach patterned after Nancy Atwell's book, "In the Middle".  We
have purchased many titles of 10 books each with a common theme...fantasy,
Civil War times, relationships, etc.... Then a teacher takes up to 7 titles
(total of about 70 books)  students start by reading a little of each book and
then decide on a title that is read over the next 2 weeks or whatever time
period is decided.  These sets of 10 are housed in our LMC and individually
checked out to teachers in groups of 10.(this allows a greater selection and
more opportunities for kids to read more books....This process better ensures
that the books are being read and then there is some check to see which titles
are being used or not used...
  I know there is some research that supports having classroom libraries, but
for the Homeroom concept you discuss, it would seem that some of these books
would be sitting gathering dust rather then being circulated through the LMC.
    Also, if the titles are decided far enough in advance, it would give you
the opportunity to do Book Talks and then get kids to do Book Talks for each
other or other classes.  I would certainly take that money or advise them how
and where to spend it!!

> Date:    Sat, 1 Jun 1996 07:56:16 EST
> From:    "Monica R. Byrne 407-767-5447" <BYRNEM@MAIL.FIRN.EDU>
> Subject: GEN:classroom libraries
>
>         My middle school principal wants to stress reading in homerooms
> next year.  We now have 2 homerooms a week (approx. 20 min. ea.) which are
> designated as reading days.  He feels that this time is not being used well
> in many homerooms, and that more structure is needed in the program.
>         To remedy this, he wants to allocate about $7000 for the purchase
> of classroom libraries ($700) per team.  The teams are to decide what books
> to purchase, with the idea that the books would be studied and discussed in
> one of the academic classes. One of his suggestions is that students on the
> team would be reading and discussing the same book at the same time,
> fiction,  biography, or short stories.  This would mean buying 140+ copies
> of each book.  HeUs leaving the actual details to each team to implement.
>         The language arts teachers have mixed feelings about this approach.
> Some feel that having students read the same book is a turnoff for middle
> school kids.  Some feel that reading newspapers would be more satisfying
> because of the timeliness and length of the articles.  And most say that
> the rest of the team is expecting the language arts teachers to make the
> decisions, an additional and unwanted burden on them.
>         I, too, have misgivings.  While I realize the importance of a
> print-rich environment in fostering reading, I wonder if providing so many
> materials in classrooms will have a negative effect on students using the
> media center for book selection.  That amount of money used to purchase
> books in the media center would augment our collection very nicely.  We
> already have our resources organized in a manner that students know how to
> use, and we have a built-in tracking system to cut down on loss.  Plus,
> would this create a parallel program, with the media center eventually
> becoming a place for RseriousS reading materials, mostly nonfiction for
> reports, instead of a source of leisure reading as well?
>         Nothing has been ordered yet.  I would appreciate some feedback,
> positive or negative, from people who have been through this.  A meeting is
> scheduled for Mon. morning, so some responses before that time would be
> really appreciated.
>          I think this group is very special.  I have gleaned so much good
> advice on other matters.  Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Rob Darrow (rdarrow@cello.gina.calstate.edu)
Library Media Teacher
Alta Sierra Intermediate School- "State Distinguished School 1996"
380 W. Teague Ave.
Clovis, CA   93611

LM_NET Archive Home