Robert (to whom I tried sending this to personally with no luck) and =
other interested people,

I just wanted to touch base with you and thank you for listing =
"Commiseration" to the net so all could read.  I hope you got a chance =
to read the one I sent on "Lib Philosophy," and  I copied most of "Prep =
period--Jo Trauger" for you.

Your message may not solve any problems directly but it sure gave me =
ammunition for an article I am going to write to legislators, school =
board members, the ALA, and others about school libraries and =
librarians, their goal and purpose.  Thanks again.

Prep period message:
I am basically a cheerful pleasant sort of person.  Lately, however, I =
have been asked to do so many non-related library "jobs" that I am =
seriously considering retiring from the library work I love.

ALA seems to condone the addition of more and more jobs (just check out =
Library Power, but they don't support harried librarians very well (see =
Commiserations that was on the net May 3rd).  When do we get to say =
ENOUGH!  I can't solve all the problems of this school or school =
district.

Handling over 500 kids and accompanying staff without help is getting =
impossible with all the jobs we are asked to do.  And some librarians =
have school populations over 1000 WITHOUT HELP!  I don't see anyone =
taking over the equipment circulation so we can add Internetting to our =
repertoire.  I don't see a teacher in charge of laminating for the =
school, photocopying for others.  (not to blame teachers, they've got =
their own batch of problems!).=20

I believe in communicating and keeping the library at the forefront of =
people's thoughts in a positive manner.  After showing a school district =
(through a grant) what a library could do, I got "rewarded" by becoming =
the sole librarian for a high school AND middle school.  Needless to say =
after 11 years with the district, I quit. The kids, parents, teachers =
and I had shown the administration the importance of libraries and what =
librarians do through teaching kids to be media literate, produce =
multi-media lessons, demonstrate their skills to adults and parents, =
increase the reading level, double the number of books checked out, =
triple the use of the library.  All to no avail.  They obviously, did =
not heed the message.

So, what does administration want?  I can't tell you.

Now, I set my goals and objectives, do what I can do,  refuse to do the =
non-library stuff and am getting happier because I'm helping kids and =
teachers while the administrators become more unhappy because I won't do =
what they ask me to do.  . . . =20

End of Prep period message.

By the way, I asked my principal what she wanted in a library and school =
librarian.  Their answer was: 1. To get kids reading and stay reading by =
providing an inviting atmosphere, good materials, such things as =
contests, book talks, etc.,  2. To teach information skills by working =
closely with teachers and students, and 3. To do this in an organized =
and manageable setting for the librarian without having to add more =
staff.  I'm going to use #3 as my ammunition for no longer laminating or =
photocopying for the entire staff.  I'm also going to ask how =
maintaining equipment meets her three criteria.

I'll try to remember to send you a message on my success in this =
endeavor.

Keep the faith, Robert and all of you!=20

Linda Hays Welch     Rio Vista Middle School     welch@cyberport.com
M.S.L.S., M.A. Ed.    Bloomfield, NM
Librarian=20

Linda Hays Welch     Rio Vista Middle School     welch@cyberport.com