I had a short opinion piece published in the local paper which seems to
be geting favorable comments. It is related to public libraries, rather
than school libraries, but in a sense we are all in this together. If
you'd like the full text (about 2 single spaced pages), e-mail me and I
will send.

Doug

************

What the Public Library Could Learn from Barnes & Noble

(Mankato Free Press, June 3, 1996)

My 10 year old son gave me pause the other day. He asked to if I'd take
him out after supper to see if the latest book in his favorite
Goosebump series was out. Normal kid-type request.

But then he added, "While we're at Barnes & Noble, I want to ...." I
don't think it even entered his mind that the first place to check for
a book would be his public library. In fact, it didn't occur to me
either until we on our way home full of cookies and cappuccino, and
twenty bucks or so lighter in the wallet.

What has happened that this career librarian (and life-long library
lover and supporter) would head to a bookstore instead of the public
library to satisfy his family's reading needs?

Maybe a comparison between Barnes & Noble and the local library would
be useful?

1. Hours

My son wanted to get his book on a Sunday. B&N is open in Mankato every
evening in the week - Sunday's included - 95 hours a week. The public
library is only open until 8PM four nights a week and on Sundays not at
all. 38 hours less than B&N. Sort of convenient having a place to get a
book beyond the workday.

Continued...

***********</fontfamily>

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor | The trouble with the rat

I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools       | race is that even if you
win,

Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713         | you're still a rat.

Voice: 507-387-7698                     |            -- Lily Tomlin

Fax: 507-387-2496                       |

E-mail: palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu   |

or:     djohns1@west.isd77.k12.mn.us

http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/staffdir/staff2/Johnson_Doug.html

LM_NET Archive Home