Greetings,

Soon we will begin to offer Internet training to students and faculty.

My inclination is to use the first initial and last name --in that
order--for e-mail addresses.   But we have many students with the identical
names.  What then? Tag a number in the last column?  I am aware of a system
using four digits.  Efficient, but it leaves me cold.

A colleague feels that if a student has to write down his/her password, it
isn't a good one. Also, a password should contain a <space> and an upper
case letter or two.   How long should a password be?

Generally, does a  sysop  allot passwords, or  does he/she  allow students
to devise their own?  We will have 2,500+ users.  I could be short one or
two "memorable" passwords.  Is this where the four-digit number rears its
head again?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback.  Thank you.

Best regards,

Martin Swist
mswist@portalinc.com
International School Manila
K--12 Library Media Coordinator
P.O. Box 1526 MCPO, 1255 Makati City, PHILIPPINES
Tel: (632) 896 - 9801 to 14;   Fax:  (632) 899 - 3964  (GMT+8)
Res: 2123 B Lourdes St., San Miguel Village, Makati; Tel & Fax 632 896 3849
***If your mail to me is returned, kindly forward it to
portal@manox.man.dec.com.
" It's no use going to school unless the library is your final
destination,"   Ray Bradbury

LM_NET Archive Home