I have one of the original 3M models and modern flourescent lights (the
new energy saving kind) do affect the system.  We had to take the bulbs
out of the fixture right above the exit.  The exit needs to be a certain
number of feet (I forget how many) away from flouarescent lights.  That
is impossible in our library.  However, the newer models have corrected
some problems, and this may be one of them.  I think you SHOULD ask your
rep or reps of the various systems you are considering a straightforward,
specific question about your concerns.  Mine was very honest with me.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Deborah S Lawton wrote:

> Does anyone have information about the effects of fluorescent lighting on
> electromagnetic security systems?  We have to decide on a security system
> for our 2 schools, and a sales rep mentioned that fluorescent lights caused
> electromagnetic systems to have problems.  Has anyone heard/experienced/know
> anything about this?  Please, no sales or customer reps reply.  Please
> respond as soon as possible as we need to make a decision  SOON.  Thanks.
>
> Debbie Lawton
> dlawton@njlink.pppl.gov
>
> Janice Lally
> jslally@njlink.pppl.gov