Paula and other interested parties,

RE: How do you handle patron ID (barcode) numbers for circulation =
purposes?

I just print out the list of students.  The students learn their barcode =
number and type it in, instead of trying to find their name and scan the =
barcode.  Both ways, kids make mistakes.  I believe in promoting =
honesty, independence, and simplification, as much as possible.

I do have a student from each class that comes in who is responsible for =
being the "guide" to make sure students don't check books out to someone =
other than themselves and guides new students (and teachers) through the =
circulation procedure.  I kinda watch the students who come in on passes =
or assign a student library aide or previous library aide, if one is =
available.

I have a list of unused barcodes and have a new student choose a barcode =
from the list and enter while they are there.  Then I print out a new =
list.

This method has sure produced less hassle for me.

Linda Hays Welch        Rio Vista Middle School     welch@cyberport.com
M.S.L.S., M.A. Ed.      Bloomfield, NM
Librarian               Grades 6 and 7                  530 students

LM_NET Archive Home