Several years ago I served on one of the first city boards which
approved putting out arrest warrants for people who steal books.
It was a difficult decision, but the rationale is/was that:
1. If a patron steals books there is no other recourse.  At the
average cost of books, it does not take many to devistate a budget.
2.  In our town, the procedure was that a person received a certified
letter requesting the return of the book.  If nothing happened, then
it was taken to the city attorney who did whatever to attach the
"demand" to the records of their  drivers license.  If the person
was stopped on a traffic violation, then the "matter" was brought to
their attention.  The choice was: a. pay for missing book or appear
before the judge....No one was sought out and arrested...Just a
forceful way to get the attention of missing books.  As far as I
know, everyone snared in this eventually suddenly found the book
or paid.
3.  ...You would be amazed at how many will steal an expensive art
book......Or just how high the missing book $ amount can become.

Media gave lots of print to getting so severly reprimanded for
books, but one has to draw the line somewhere.....I know this
sounds so harsh, but I think it is rather matter of fact...one
either returns a book, or pays for it....If the patron forces the
city to "get tough," then so be it.

Mary Ludwick         Ludwick@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home