A recent posting mentioned this site as having a list of YOUR phone number
and address with a map with a big red X on your house.  I played around with
the site and by experimenting with addresses that I already knew, this is
what I found out -- or think I found out.
1)  Lists are in many cases 1 1/2 yrs. to at least 2 years old.
2)  Maps are often NOT accurate.  I live in the country and the best I could
say is the X was in the same quadrant of the county; not the same township
even nor even on the correct road.  Another whose address was a NE address in
town was shown as being in the SE part of town.  Several other examples; I
did not find one totally accurate X.  Some were close however.
3)  All addresses seem to be taken directly, as the initial post indicated,
from telephone books and since only my husband's name is in the phone book, I
don't have a listing.
HOWEVER,
by using the site I located  an army buddy of my husband, a man that we had
lost track of 20 years ago when we both moved and each of us got our mail
returned.  The address turned out to be bogus (since it was 2 yrs. old and
they had moved), but gave me a "family" location and I managed to locate a
nephew who put me in contact with an aunt (buddy's sister-in-law) who gave me
the new address and in 2 more minutes with a call to information in
Washington state I had him on the phone.  The search from start to  finish
took 25 minutes including all phone calls.  Great birthday present for my
husband.  The buddy made a "surprise" phone call to wish my husband a happy
birthday today.
At least this site is only giving out information that is readily available
from any phone book in any public library which has such a collection.  This
site at least allows me to search electronically and saves a trip to go
through volume after volume of phone books.  Of more concern to me is AT&T
Universal Card policy.
How many of you know that by calling  AT&T card headquarters
 (1-800-423-4343) you can wait through the two requests for your 16 digit
account number and the recording will give up on your account number and ask
for your "ten digit phone number" and then your zip code.  Once that is given
out, with no more identification requested your "basic account information"
is given out automatically.   That basic information includes your card
balance, your payment amount, and your last recorded payment.  So people, if
anyone knows that you have an AT&T card, knows your telephone number, and
your U.S. post office zip code -- that person can obtain your account
information.  (This automated information is only unavailable when they are
"updating" the information.)  I have registered a complaint with the company
but they assure me that no one else cares.  I talked to a Daniel Burgert.  If
you should wish to issue a complaint the address is:  President & CEO AT&T
Universal Card, PO Box 44271, David Hunt, PO Box 44271, Jacksonville, FL
32231-4271.  FAX 904-954-8990.  If you do send a complaint please e-mail me,
I'd like to follow up in someway.  Thanks.  Sharronmc@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home