I've always teased my mom about "warshed" too by saying "HOw do you spell
that, Mom?"  Another regionalism is her use of "unthaw"; "Why don't you
unthaw some hamburger for supper?"  I've teased her about having frozern
hamburgers!

Chyrel Remmers, Library/English Instructor
Chambers Public School, Box 218
Chambers, NE  68725  Ph: (402) 482-5233
e-mail: cremmers@pluggers.esu8.k12.ne.us

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Roberta J. Ponis wrote:

> Growing up in Indiana, we ALWAYS "warshed".  My mother, to this day,
> swears she does not put an "r" in the word.  Another one I have yet to
> see mentioned is in Indiana I would get "runners in my hose", but when I
> went to college in Michigan I got "runs in my stockings".
>
> Roberta Ponis
> rponis@jeffco.k12.co.us

LM_NET Archive Home