If their are any "non-librarians" reading the messages on this listserve
and would think they could use our communications against us, I would
hope they would consider the following:
        1. This is a forum that connects thousands of us in a sharing of
ideas that can help each one of us improve our own performance.
        2. Although librarians are all very busy and overworked, we are a
resourceful bunch and are quite capable of utilizing our time to
advantage. Personally,I chose to come to school 2 hours early on a daily
basis.  I do not take an official planning time or lunch break.  I do
allow time for the listserve.  This has been very beneficial.
        3.I have found information for both staff and students thanks to
the kindness of many folks on the listseve.
        4. I have been able to help others on the listserve.
        5. I have found information about technical equipment that helped
my superiors may decisions on big expenditures.
        6. I have developed better relationships with other staff members
by helping them through the listserve.
        7. The listserve is also good medicine. I have also found some humorous
writings that have broken the "spell of frustraion" that sometimes
accompanies this job.

In summary, I would hope that anyone who would think ill of us for
spending (investing would be a better word) on the listserve would only
open their minds and broaden their horizon of thinking.  I,
personnaly,will continue to use the listserve as long a it continues to
help me better do my job.  It is like a daily "library media conference".

I'll sign off now.  It is time to get back to other duties.

Ken Baker

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Roberta Hepburn wrote:

> I certainly hope not many people belong to this Listserv that are not
> librarians because I am afraid they will have some ammunition to use
> against us.  Those that have enough time to read and send messages through
> a listserv about how important their job is sure do not seem to me to be
> very busy during their school day.    Some even have enough time to detail
> all they do in their job.  No wander we get no respect.  By the way, I did
> check the times on the messages(most were during working hours), and I
> personally did not have time to read more than two messages on the subject.
> In fact I only have time to read about 4-5 messages a day and dump the
> rest.  Therefore, I hope we will get more to use the subject headings
> suggested by the administrators of this listserv.

LM_NET Archive Home