Well, this is not really at all about the librarians image, but it is
about the thread of productivity at work--any work.  I'm taking internet
librarianship this year (what a great course!) and my topic of the
assigned paper is what people at work are doing over the Internet while
they are at work.  the topic was stimulated by an article that was in USA
today about people at the office that start off innocently enough using
the Internet for work purposes, and then eventually drift off into
something less productive as they pursue their own hobbies, whatever.
This is (according to the article) costing "industry" billions of dollars
(perhaps I'm exaggerating) and another interesting feature to the article
was that a lot of what people are looking at is pornography--some large
percentage.
My question is this...Do any of you live with people that are out their
"in industry"?  Could you discuss this with them and see if they perceive
this as a problem?
Have any of you all percieved the use of the internet as a problem at
school?  For me, it was slightly a problem when my only hook-up was in
the back room and I found myself back there...Now my computer is out in
the library and it's lots more fun.  I'm doing Internet searches with
kids, travelling to recommended sites, and I've received such good ideas
from you all!  Pleas feel free to e-mail me privately about this if you
have ay thoughts on the paper topic.  If it seems relevant to the whole,
I post a HIT if I've found out how to do it by then.

LM_NET Archive Home