Referencing the display of diplomas--I have all three of mine(a Bachelors
and two Masters) displayed
in my office next to the window.  What is interesting is that when some
of the high schoolers come in to visit or ask a question, some (not all)
of them comment on where I went to school and often say such things as "I
didn't know you had to have a degree to be a librarian" or "I didn't know
you had to be a teacher to be a librarian" or "Wow, YOU have three
degrees, what do they mean?"  It's just another way to educate your
patrons.  Teachers don't know the same facts.  I spent a great deal of
time in classes to work in the library, I am proud not egotistical about
that time. I don't think librarians should apologize for the degrees they
hold.  Why let those very significant pieces of paper sit in a desk
drawer somewhere when they can help enhance the images of librarians
everywhere.  Every principal I know has his/hers on the office wall.

Sandy Barron                 Tomball High School
sbarron@tenet.edu                      30330 Quinn Road
713-357-3219                            Tomball, Texas 77375
FAX 713-357-3252             "making the difference with information science"

LM_NET Archive Home