Your subject said elementary, but my high school aides just finished this
same project. We labeled all the sections with round colored dots
(300=lime green).  We were tired of finding a 600 in the 900s etc.  I'm
beginning to think many people have dyslexia and just don't realize it.
We discovered one of our senior aides from last year did.  He was very
bright but kept putting books in the wrong section.  We also have
students who find books on reserve then hide them somewhere in the
library so only they can find them.  The colored dots work wonders.  Of
course, within the section the books still must be placed properly, but
now even our severly handicapped students can place books near where they
belong. Maybe we are babying our students but every little step helps
make the job easier and faster.

Sandy Barron                 Tomball High School
sbarron@tenet.edu                      30330 Quinn Road
713-357-3219                            Tomball, Texas 77375
FAX 713-357-3252             "making the difference with information science"

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Laurie Conzemius wrote:

> I read with interest the other messages pertaining to putting color-coded
> labels on books for younger children and I understand the reasons for the
> concerns.  My question is:
> Would it be okay to label all of the books in the non-fiction section with
> a color coded label and all the fiction/chapter books a color coded label
> and the fiction/easy books with a color coded label.  I am using volunteer
> help to shelve the books and they have such a hard time figuring out where
> to shelve them.  I really think a color code on the spine would at least
> help them to get the books in the right section.
> THANKS!
> Laurie
>
>                         Frank White Elementary Library
>                              400 Huntsinger Ave.