Laura,
Another way to look at this situation is to presume that anything
written, especially an answer to a TARGET will end up in a HIT.  I have
exchanged ideas with people on LM-NET where one of us has stated that the
discussion was, to quote Ian Flemming, "for your eyes only".  I have
operated under the premise that if it has been posted on the 'net it
could become public "in a hartbeat".  This may not be the legal attitude
or the correct netiquette (sp) but it does tend to CYA if necessary.  I
am NOT disagreeing with you, just trying to let people be more aware and
protective in case of the quick reaction of the reply function in their
mail program.

Clete Schirra                           schirrac@icarus.lis.pitt.edu
South Park High School Media Center     schirra@calvin.cc.duq.edu
2178 Ridge Road                         (412) 655-0613 voice
Library PA 15129                        (412) 655-2952 fax

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Laura K. Brendon wrote:

> Hello, all.  This is an appeal/reminder to ask for permission before
> forwarding or quoting messages that are either received privately or that
> are posted to this list.
>
> Yesterday I found out, completely by accident, that a message I sent to
> LM_NET several months ago ended up in another group's electronic journal
> and was posted on the World Wide Web (complete with my email address!)
> without my knowledge or permission.  I know that the messages I send LM_NET
> (or any other email list, for that matter) are in the archives.  This does
> *not* mean that I give my permission to send any posting I make to LM_NET
> to anyone who is not a subscriber.   In this example, I gave my personal
> opinion of a software package -- it is not the sort of thing I want quoted
> out of the contexts of the original question or this list.
>
> I've also noticed that occasionally, when people post a HIT, they quote
> fully messages that were sent to them privately.  I hope that, in such
> cases, the person posting the hit has requested permission to quote the
>
> Thank you all for your support.
>
> Laura K. Brendon, Program Coordinator         | My messages represent my views
> Edgar Dale Media Center, Ohio State University| -- not OSU's or the Center's.
> 29 W. Woodruff, Columbus, OH  43210  USA      | Censorship of the Internet is
> lbrendon@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu            | the true electronic
>                                               | indecency.

LM_NET Archive Home