There was a question a couple days ago from Amanda Byrd wanting information
on this topic.  This did in fact happen.  She mentioned one such camp in
Fort Oswego, but this is not quite correct.  I grew up in Oswego, New York
where Fort Ontario is located, and this is the site that she referred to.
I remember my mother talking about this, that the local people knew nothing
about who was there until after the war - people thought perhaps they were
prisoners of war.  I now live in Rochester, and couple years ago the
Rochester PBS station, WXXI, broadcast a program about this entitled "Safe
Haven".  It gave information about the program going on in Oswego during
the war, hoping to provide a safe haven for Jews.  I don't know much more,
but since there was a message questioning whether or not this really
happened, I wanted to at least respond.

Elaine Woods

LM_NET Archive Home