We have Worldbook Encyclopedia networked in our media center.  I like it
a lot, and find it easy to use and to teach kids to use.   Last year when
we received the five networked workstations, it was hard to find
networkable elementary reference software.  So most of my reference
collection is for stand-alones.  I have 3 copies of FIRST CONNECTIONS,
which is an encyclopedia for lower elementary grades.  I have had good
first grade readers use this.  Upper grades are using MICROSOFT ANCIENT
LANDS (just my 6th grade which studies Egypt, Greece and Rome),
Eyewitness Encyclopedia of Science, The Way Things Work, Picture Atlas of
the World (National Geographic), Mammals.  We have Grolier's
Encyclopedia, but I find the type hard to read and the reading level of
the version I have is very high.

         Tamah Graber
         Darnestown E.S.
         15030 Turkey Foot Road
         Gaithersburg, MD 20878

         tgraber@umd5.umd.edu

On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Frank Moore wrote:

> I am completing my internship working at a middle school library (grades
> 6-8) that is in the process of being networked along with the rest of the
> school and the school district.  We have a combination of Compaq PCs and
> Mac 5200 and 5300's.
>
> 1..What reference CD-ROMs that run on a network would you recommend for
> students
>      to use in the library?
>
> 2..What reference CD-ROMs would you recommend for stand alone machines?
>
> 3..Because the library will be automated in the 1997-98 school year, I am
> interested in
>     what the favorite administrative packages are of LM_NETers for future
> budget
>     consideration.  Would you please share feedback on this as well?
>
> A "HIT" will be forthcoming.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Continuously amazed at what I  learn from LM_NET folks, I am
>
> Frank Moore
> (fmoore@polar.bowdoin.edu)
> Grade 6 Teacher (and future LISP via CLIS at USCarolina)
> Brunswick Junior High School
> Brunswick, Maine
> Help somebody to laugh at least once a day:-)
> http://www.col.k12.me.us/bjh/203a/
>
> --
> Frank Moore
> (fmoore@polar.bowdoin.edu)
> Grade 6 Teacher (and future LISP via CLIS at USCarolina)
> Brunswick Junior High School
> Brunswick, Maine
> Help somebody to laugh at least once a day:-)
> http://www.bowdoin.edu/community/beacon/sites/bjhs/BJHS203a.html

LM_NET Archive Home