I would like to add a codicil to Kaaren's comments. I read the original
commercial message and what I got was this:
        "I'm going to post a commercial. I know this is forbidden on the
list, but I'm going to do it anyway. If you don't want to read it, delete
now."
        Then, curiosity being what it is, I read on to find out what
product was being advertised. I estimate I spent perhaps 30 seconds on
this. Not much time. However, if it was read by 3000 members, I estimate
the sender got at least 25 hours of list time, with a captive audience.
Many salespeople have and would gladly give up 2 hours of sleep for less.
And, if an angry Peter Milbury phoned from California (perhaps not for
the first time), on his dime, presumably the salesman could have got
through the unpleasantness in ten minutes or less by just answering the
phone and talking to him at the first call. I don't have a lot of sympathy
for him, and perhaps, as Kaaren implies, we should stay out of this one.
Rayna
KMV_PATTON@k12.MEC.OHIO.GOV

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Kaaren Linton wrote:

> You know, none of us was there to hear and validate the alleged telephone
> call.  It is the word of one person.  I must say that I admire the tact
> which Peter has displayed when dealing with members of this group.  Have
> you noticed over the last year how many commercial postings have
> resulted in people being dropped from the group?  Don't we always get a
> copy of the message he sent?  Do you really think he would be calling someone
> long distance instead of just sending the email and dropping him?
>
> Perhaps, in this case some owe Peter an apology.... What happened to
> innocent until PROVEN guilty?
>
> Kaaren Linton                kaaren.linton@m.k12.ut.us

LM_NET Archive Home