I agree with Pat on the subject of "obscenity" being used on the
listserv.  If we say it's acceptable with one little "harmless" word than
how many others will jump on the bandwagon?
:)
Lyna Reyes  (806)266-5250                       *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Morton I.S.D.                                     So many books,
500 Champion Dr.                                     So little time!!
Morton, TX 79346                                *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On 30 Apr 1996, Pat Wamsley wrote:

> Have you ever noticed how we will read and "catch" part of a message, and
> ignore the rest of it?  Some of the posts lately have tended to use parts
> of more than one message and come up with an entirely different message,
> or jump to conclusions on the basis of very little information.
>
> For instance, Peter posted the rule on "obscenity", but he didn't ever
> say that it was applied to the person who, in my mind, inappropriately
> used a subject heading.  As a moderator, given the discussion of the topic,
> it is appropriate for him to put up the reminder of what the rules are.
>
> I must state that I appreciate the civil discussions and profanity free
> language on this list, it is a precious commodity that you can rarely
> find or count on in this day and age.  And gentle reminders to those of us who
> stray surely cannot be as damaging as having everyone bombarded with
> others rude behavior and language.
>
> For I believe that if you do tolerate rude behavior or language, you will
> soon be inundated with it, just like in the rest of the world.   Is it
> bad or wrong to have standards and expect others to grow to meet them? Is
> it bad or wrong to expect mannerly discussions on a librarian's listserv?
> Who are we really hurting if we do expect standards and good manners?
>

> Pat Wamsley (patw1@muskox.alaska.edu)  |{ancient Chinese blessing/curse}
> wk: Colony HS Library (907) 746-9538   |
> hm: 3700 Spruce Top Circle             | "May you live
>     Wasilla, AK 99654 (907) 376-8854   |         in interesting times!"

LM_NET Archive Home