The response to your question does have something to do with age,
regrettably. There are two types of bachelor degrees in library and
information studies. The first is the [now dated] Bachelor of Library
Science [BLS] which was a post-baccalaureate fifth year degree commonly
offered until the early 1970s. This is typically considered equivalent to
the MLS for professional purposes as those older members of the
profession have added experience. Academically, it is considered
post-baccalaureate but not master's level so an additional year would be
necessary to pursue doctoral work, for exmaple. The second is the BA or
BSc in Library Science as an undergraduate four year degree. This is not
considered equivalent to a master's degree either professionally or
academically; indeed some schools will not admit those with undergraduate
degrees in library science. This information is of course no reflection
on any individual but simply a statement of professional and academic
norms.--Ken

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Helen Beverley Owen wrote:

> At the convention last week here in Houston, I mentioned that I have
> not pursued an MLS because I have a BSin Library Science.  Does anyone
> else have one or am I an antique?  (I'm the same age as Clinton!!)
> Beverley Owen, Pearland Jr High East, Pearland Texas  owenb@tenet. edu

LM_NET Archive Home