Peter, I'll refer you to an even higher authority than Miss Manners or
Dear Anne/Abby.  My dear departed Mother always said you can never err by
using courtesy and good manners and she was right!  Also the expression in
question is "vulgar" not "profane" or "obscene."

Joan Miller(jmiller@freenet.columbus.oh.us)

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Peter
Milbury wrote:

> Hello Sharon and LM_NET Colleagues,
>
> On Wed, 1 May 1996, Global SchoolNet wrote:
> > Is "pissed-off" profanity??? I don't think so. It may be objectionable to
> > some people, like "shut up" is to me. jBut it isn't profanity.
> >

> I have checked with a number of people whom I work, and they feel it is
> not to be used in polite company, which LM_NET strives to be. I feel that
> the term (and also "shut up") fits in the following category (because it
> is inflammatory, since many folks do not tolerate such language in their
> social circles):
>
> > 11. Flames: a "flame" is an emotionally charged posting, and is often
> directed at someone. Be sure you really want to post it, and remember
> that LM_NET does not tolerate flames. We will immediately drop members
> posting rude, inflammatory or grossly inappropriate messages. (LM_NET
> Etiquette)
>
> Idea:  Would one of us be willing to write Miss Manners (or Dear
> Ann/Abbey) to see how they feel the term should be considered? I think
> Miss Manners is right on target in her analyses of social etiquette. And
> while electronic communities are somewhat different than in-person
> communities, that is what I base my reaction on.  How about it? This
> might be the first question she receives dealing with e-mail.
>
> Peter Milbury, Librarian       pmilbury@ericir.syr.edu
>
>             Chico High School, Chico, California  95926
>    A National Blue Ribbon School        Library phone: 916-891-3036
>         http://wombat.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~pmilbury/lib.html
>      Peter Milbury's School Library & School Librarian Web Pages
>   Co-owner of LM_NET:  gopher://ericir.syr.edu:70/11/Listservs/LM_NET
>     Serving 5,000+ In the School Library Media Community, Worldwide
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> > Shaorn (hamer@meol.mass.edu)
> >
> >  Diane Durbin
> > (dianed@TENET.EDU) wrote:
> > : I can promise you that profantity is not necessarily a sign of low
> > : intelligence.  However, I don't know if there are correlational studies :)
> >
> > : Diane
> > : dianed@tenet.edu
> >
> > : On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Jerimiah Newell wrote:
> >
> > : > I have to agree with Pat Wamsley about language on the Net. I have always
> > : > considered it as a mark of low intelligence to use profanity. If I am
> > : > angry I can always find an intelligent and cogent way of expressing it. I
> > : >

LM_NET Archive Home