 M.Overmire wrote:

>> A teacher has asked me to find out what the word is that describes a
>> question with no answer?
>> I.E. If a tree fell in the woods and no one was there to hear it would it
>> make a sound? or What is the sound of one hand clapping?

I believe these are classic examples of Zen Buddhist koan.  According to
Grolier's 1996 Multimedia Encyclopedia:

"In Zen Buddhism, a koan (literally, a public case) is a theme for
meditation used by masters to help their disciples break through the
barriers of intellect to achieve enlightenment.  There are about 1,700
popular koans, which usually consist of a saying from a great Zen master or
his answer to a question."

I remember that the Buddhist sequence from "The Long Search" (a 12 or 13
part series shown on PBS in the 70s about the worlds' great religions)
showed a Zen master listening to his disciples' responses to the koans.

Laura K. Brendon
Program Coordinator, Edgar Dale Media Center, Ohio State University
29 W. Woodruff, Columbus, OH  43210  USA
lbrendon@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu                   (614) 292-1177
My messages represent my views -- not OSU's or the Center's.