Hi gang:

Have any of you ordered or plan to order the CD-ROM Stowaway from Dorling
Kindersley?

I usually endorse all of the DK programs without question, but this is one to
look at carefully...especially if you are elementary.

The humor is often with adult  connotations-- or tries to be.  There is one
scene where the boy actually goes to the bathroom on a plank.  Now, of
course, this is what must have happened  on a ship in the 1800's, but I don't
see it's place in a CD-ROM for kids.  I had a parent point this out and have
talked with a couple of rep's for the company who have taken the program back
from schools who complained.  The reps say they cannot return merchandise, so
they must absorb the cost themselves which, I think may not be a good
practice anyway.

I just wanted everyone to know that they should at least preview the program
before purchase.

I have a few other CD-ROM's I would not recommend and will post them when I
have some spare time.  There are still lots of good products out there--and
with money so tight I thought you would like to know what I do not recommend.

Nancy Graf
NGrafLMC@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home