Welcome to the continuing adventures of "Rio, the Cat!"

Remember this is a very extroverted cat.  He LOVES people, noise, the =
hustle and bustle of school life, even attacks "live" vacuum cleaners.

Cat Allergies
Many asked how we deal with allergies to the cat. First of all, the =
parents (so far) have thought it absolutely delightful that we have a =
cat.  Many of the students who are allergic to cats (but like them =
anyway) that have talked to me, say that this is the only time they even =
get to be around a cat.  I have a couple of long sleeved smocks these =
students can wear and I ask that they wash at the library sink with =
anti-bacterial soap immediately after petting the cat (holding is =
discouraged but allowed). So far, I guess, we've had no one who is =
extremely allergic to cats.  At least they haven't said anything to me =
or anyone else that I know of.

I have managed to get the cat to sleep on an old sweatshirt on one of =
the sofas and he rarely lays anywhere else other than the floor, or his =
cardboard box on the cubbies.  So far no one has said they are getting =
ill from the cat dander, but I do try to keep the windows open as much =
as possible.  Personally, I think he helps more children than creating a =
problem for them.

We do have one teacher allergic to cats, but he said he'd just keep his =
door closed.  Nice nice man, he is.  He says he hasn't had any problems =
in the library.  I MUST do sometime special for him sometime.

Communication:
Our principal (bless her) immediately saw the wonderful possibilities of =
a school pet and she told me SHE was the one that suggested to the =
student council that we make him a school project.  Anyway, it was =
cheerfully announced over the intercom our Rio, the conditions under =
which he could stay.  Since he has claws and could scratch, students =
were told not to pick him up (Students obeyed THAT rule for oh. . . one =
week or so.) We also talked about how Rio was to be treated, how to =
report "cat abuse,"  how Rio could help them, where he could go, etc.  =
We also put it in our weekly school newsletter and the newsletter that =
goes out to the community (our local newspaper was invited to do a =
story, but they never came).  Rio's picture was taken and he is now on =
the first page of the yearbook and in the computer (with digital =
camera).  His also has a starring role in the student council's video =
introducing our school to new students.

In part 3 I'll cover problems; hints, tips, advice; and stories, if =
room.=20

Linda Hays Welch        Rio Vista Middle School     welch@cyberport.com
M.S.L.S., M.A. Ed.      Bloomfield, NM
Librarian               Grades 6 and 7                  530 students

33% Navajo Indian, 33% Hispanic, 32% Anglo, 2% "Other"

LM_NET Archive Home