As promised here are some of the great ideas you guys have sent me for my
library show and tell.  Many thanks to all of you who replied.  There are
some great ideas of how to 'share' library   resources with all the staff....

I did set up stations and put out pads of sticky notes for teachers to write
their name and put on the books.  That way they could *reserve* the books
and I could get them into their hands as soon as the browsing was over. I
wrote the title of the book on the notes and kept them so I could circulate
the books to the staff.  It was well received because I had FOOD out for
them.  If your building is like mine, food eases all pain!  I also had a
tv/vcr set up so they could preview videos.

When I was at the elementary level, I would have a tea where I would
display new stuff. This included setting up computers with new software, a
section where new books were display, A tv/vcr set (sometimes more than
one) for viewing new videos, etc.

Place the price tag on some of the resources they will be using so they can
see how expensive resources are.

How about a treasure hunt.  You can ask questions and teachers must find
the answer in your various resources.  Get your principal to spring for
an expensive reward for each teacher.

You could pull various references sources together:
     ** Different types of dictionaries/atlases/encyclopedias
         (most teachers arae unware of the variety)
     ** Show different types of fiction groupings: historical,
        realistic, humorous, sports, etc.
     ** Show different types of Illustratrs, Keats, Lionni along with
        student's art work reflecting same type of illus.
     ** Pull together many theme ideas that relate to the curriculum

I haven't actually done this, but I have had a plan in mind. My idea is to
have a task sheet that rotates  the teachers through various parts of the
library. The tasks would require the teachers to identify specific
resources, but would be general enough to ensure that each teacher could
explore resources of real interest. Examples:
        Go to the "Teachers' Corner" and find two tapes of authors whose
books you use with your students.
        Use the professional section of Children's Magazine Guide to look
up the topic of a unit you are currently planning or teaching. If
possible, find an article in our professional resources about the topic.
        Browse the fiction or picture book section to find an author whose
last name begins with the same letter as yours--an author you hadn't heard
of before.
        Look through the back issues of Zillions Magazine to find an
article about a toy, game, clothing, etc. that you saw in your classroom
today.

This is my first year in a new library.  I asked the principal how
she handed out the pay checks?  She said she usually wanders around with
them and hands them out or people tend to come find her.  I said I would
like to try a breakfast in the library and collect your paycheck while
looking at various items that the library had.  First month I put out all
of the math things that I could put my hands on, books to CD-ROM programs.
Second month after going through things, I had a yard sale in the library.
The staff took just about everything that wasn't bolted down.  Next month
I'll have to come up with something, but have been purchasing books so
maybe it will be an introduction to, and list of new items in the library
since last year.

We hid "treats" on the shelves (coupons for 30 minute break, lunch in the
cafeteria, free meal at an inexpensive resteraunt, etc).. Gave the
teachers maps of the Media Center, a pencil and clues and sent them looking
to see what they could discover!

We asked them to bring out the most unusual material they found, the one
they had forgotten about, and the one they'd like to use this week!

Then they shared what they'd found.......

I make my self available to the teachers
for "self-directed staff development".  Essentially, this is the 3
hour summer school day, which gives the teacher a large chunk of time
to sit down and learn how to use the resources and then "play" with
them for a while.  The teachers really like this; it doesn't cost me
any extra time; and they start thinking really creatively about how to
integrate the resources into their curriculum. They get 3 hours of
staff development credit.  They sign up for a day with me on my summer
school calendar and get individual attention.

Your conference day idea is really good; you might consider having
people at each station to run the equipment and explain it - you can't
do it all.  One other school that I know of had a few students come in
on a conference day, just for that purpose. The kids love being the
experts here and reversing roles with their teachers.

When we have done this we have set up multiple stations to display all types of
resources.  Our time period was a 'come and go' session so we didn't have to
rotate the teachers through each station.

I used to have one in-service time a year, usually a week or so before winter
break.  People would bring in "treats" and I would show all the new professional
materials and any GREAT new stuff--sets, items specific to curriculum areas,
anything.  This would take nearly an hour.  Then people could visit with each
other, look at the materials, eat a bit and enjoy. All of the teachers said it
was their favorite in-service every year!

I have also heard about morning get-togetherw inthe library to feature new
items...once a year or once a month.

Bev Novak                   _--_|\
                           /      \
novak@netoptions.com.au   (        )